Sunday, February 24, 2013

Copying the Masters @ CAM

Yesterday I participated in a "Paint IN" at the Cincinnati Art Museum (CAM) with the Indiana Plein Air Painters Association (IPAPA).  The Ohio Plein Air Society (OPAS) was supposed to be there as well but I didn't see anyone.  It was a blast to schlep my painting stuff into the museum (good thing I knew where the handicap entrance ramp was!)

Of course I headed to the gallery where the impressionist paintings are.  The painting I had wanted to copy was missing. It is a HUGE pastel night scene of sheep on a hillside that only gets to come out every now & then since the museum is interested in preserving the paper as long as possible.  They are afraid that extended exposure to light might damage it.  I looked around the gallery and decided NOT to attempt Monet or Renoir.  In fact I cannot remember the artist who painted this piece:


There is a very poorly painted bench and a sketched in figure in the foreground that I decided to ignore.  Looks like the artist never finished this piece.  (Thus illustrating the danger of leaving incomplete work in your studio where your rotten heirs can find it after your death!)  I was attracted to the light patter and the spring azaleas.  Although this is in France it reminds me of Savannah, GA, this time of year.  I am really sick of winter at the moment.

Rather than try to copy the work, I used it as inspiration.  The rules at the CAM are that you need to use a different size from the original when you copy it.  I used a square format:

"The Terrace", 8x8, oil on gessoboard

It felt great to be shmooshing around with my paints again.  This image is a little bit faded with a bit of glare. I will try to repost a better image.

I have been busy prepping for the Essex Studios Early Spring Art Walk next weekend. Since completing the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge in January I have been framing the work produced.  It is amazing how much time it takes to cover the backs with paper and create the hanging wires.

Monday I leave for Carmel, Indiana to spend another three days with Dreama Tolle Perry.  Her workshop last November really energized my painting efforts.  Can't wait to see where I go after this!


By the way, the "Watercolor for the Truly Terrified & Paint Avoidant" workshop was great fun!  Two brave souls showed up to play around with paint for an afternoon.  As promised, Mary & Donna left with actual ART created by their very own hands!  It is amazing how matting & wrapping turns a watercolor into ART!


I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!