Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Olympic View - 2 of 30

Olympic View, 7x5", Acrylic
2 of 30
Today's image is based on a shot I took at the Washington Lavender Farm in Sequim, Washington last month.  As you can see, the Olympic Mountains are "peaking" out in the distance.  This farm features breath taking views of both mountains and the Strait of Juan de Fuca - the route from the Puget Sound to the Pacific Ocean that all the cruise ships take, whether from Seattle or Vancouver.

Once again I wanted to capture the essence of the scene & acrylics offer an immediacy of color.  It was very fun.  I like to add birds to my landscapes to allow the eye to see something breathing. This area features ravens, crows, stellar and grey jays among other wonderful wildlife.

We were lucky enough to arrive the Monday before the annual Lavender Festival. There are many, many lavender farms in this area (as well as pot farms - both medicinal & recreational marijuana is legal in Washington.)  We visited two lavender farms but alas, no dispensaries or pot farms. Legalizing marijuana has not resulted in a crime uptick but I am sure the pizza sales are up...

Sequim is in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains and features weather similar to Provence, FR. Its a popular retirement area as well.  I hope to return and take more photos one day.

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!