Saturday, January 02, 2016

2 of 30 - branching into pastels

Abby, phase 1
14x11, pastel on Ampersand board

Today I decided to play with my pastels. What I discovered is, I am way better at doing dog portraits in oil.  *sigh*  I will continue to mess with this one. I think the eyes need to be larger and the right eye should be higher.  It's a learning curve, for sure. This little dog is relentlessly enthusiastic and has a magical coat.  When groomed the apricot disappears, yet reappears once the hair gets longer.  How can that be?  I think she's a small doodle of some sort. She sure is cute!

reference image


work in place on my Heilman box easel

I do love working in pastel, usually doing landscapes. I need more fur practice, fur sure!

Stay tuned for more paintings. If you are interested in commissioning a pet portrait, see http://marioncorbinmayer.weebly.com/pet-portrait-commissions.html for details.

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!