Wednesday, January 15, 2014

6 of 30!


Bosco, 5x5", oil on panel, private commission
I have gotten behind in both my painting and posting.  Yet I give myself cudos for continuing to paint.  Posting became problematic when my laptop crashed and had to go the the nerd hospital for a bit. All is well now, thank heavens!

Thought I would share with you some of my process:

I start with an image supplied by the pet owner, crop it for a "head shot" and get approval to use it.  I upload it into an ap called "AccuView" on my ipad.


I have a special Ipad holder and tripod that I set up next to the panel holder.


I use a grid to sketch the image quickly onto the panel, 
then do a transparent underpainting


I then start laying in the opaque colors


there are many moments during a painting when I think, "oh dear, this is a mess!"




I love it when the personality emerges from the paint!  I really enjoy painting "head shots" of pets. I find I am not all that interested in painting bodies or rendering patterns of fabrick.  Funny how preferences emerge once you paint enough paintings!

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can


2 comments:

  1. Hi Marion, I found you through the challenge. I just love your painting of Bonzo. I was so drawn to his sweet face, I have a picture of my dog, Zoey, that is almost identical that I have thought of painting myself. I really enjoyed seeing your process, thank you for sharing it. I'm always looking out for a good tip and/or advice! Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaime, thanks for your comment. Hope you are playing along with the challenge this month as well. Be courageou!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!