Friday, September 05, 2014

5 of 30


Loons, 5x7" Watercolor
On the road, back working in my watercolor journal. I swiped this image from Facebook.  Unfortunately I cannot give the photographer credit at this moment.  The image of the loon family reminded me of the 7 years we drove our daughter to a wonderful summer camp in Canada, 3 hours north of Toronto, near a small town called McKellar. It was a wonderful experience for us all.

Now we are engaged in a road trip back to Savannah for her final year at SCAD.  It's a bittersweet experience for me.  I have really enjoyed exploring Savannah & Tybee Island, GA. We started visiting the area six years ago, plotting out our strategy for her application to SCAD.  We fell in love with Tybee Island, the beach community 30 minutes from the historic district of Savannah where her college is located.  No golf, only a two block area of "beach / souvenier / WAVES / etc.  The rest is pure, funky beach town.

As a treat we are taking a side trip to Kinston, NC, to visit Chef & the Farmer restaurant.  This will be our second trip to this out of the way place.  We love it.  You can learn more by exploring www.chefandthefarmer.com or www.pbs.org/achefslife

Since we have been making the drive to Savannah for 6 years we try to vary the routine. Its only a bit out of the way to go from Cincinnati to Princeton, WVa, then on to Kinston, NC, before hitting I-95 for Savannah.  We will return via Macon / Atlanta / Knoxville to Cincinnati.  Sometimes we go Knoxvile / Asheville / Columbia / Savannah.

So, to start this painting I wet the paper and blocked in the water.  Watercolors dry lighter so it took a few passes to get it juicy and colorful. I wanted the water to contrast the black & white birds.




The fun part is that I went to the lobby of this Hampton Inn to paint because our room just didn't have a space for me to spread out.  I am surrounded by seniors playing poker this evening.  What a hoot!

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!