Friday, January 18, 2013

Farm Fresh

January 17

Funny how I "make deals" with myself and waffle on commitments. I wasn't able to stay at the studio today long enough to paint a new painting so I edited "Rosie" and was going to call it my painting of the day (again).  It wasn't really cheating, I did use a brush for a bit...  (right)

At 10 pm I buckled down and got out the watercolors.  Using an old photo I took at Grailville, a retreat center in Loveland, OH, I painted this farm scene.  It could be in Wisconsin or any other farming community...

1/17/13  "Across the Field"  7x5 watercolor on paper

I am very happy with the editing I did on Rosie's painting.  Here is the new version:

Rosie, stage 2 (SOLD!)
I detailed the eyes & adjusted the values.  
Compare this to the old version below:

Rosie, stage 1

So here's the secret about painting.  A painting is never done.  It just stops in some interesting places.  As an artist I am fully capable of working something "to death".  One of my goals is to develope a looser, more spontaneous way of painting.  These small dog portraits reflect this in a way that makes me quite happy.  

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can




2 comments:

  1. Really love how Rosie turned out. Great to see your work on the 30 day challenge. Rosie looks like a real love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Susan! Yea, I really like how she turned out as well. Once I get the eyes "right" there's a soul looking back at me. Kinda spooky!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!