Saturday, January 19, 2013

Purple Rain

January 18

Once again I almost wimped out on my daily painting. I got to the studio for a meeting, roughed in a pencil sketch for a painting then felt I needed to leave to lock up our house after the workers left.  So my panel is sitting on the easel, waiting for paint.  Luckily I have my trusty stash of supplies at home and got out a piece of Kitty Wallis sanded pastel paper to play around with.  I chose a photo reference of a storm out to sea, probably taken around Tybee Island, Georgia.  I was using my limited kit of pastels so had to be creative with my color choices.  Funny thing about painting - if your values (light to dark) are right, it really doesn't matter what colors you choose!

1/18/13  "Purple Rain" 10x8, pastel on paper

I was looking at ready made frames the other day and noticed that a verticle rectangle is called 8x10 and an horizontal rectangle is called 10x8. Seems kind of strange to me...

Here is a shot of "Mr. Myoghi" framed and ready for delivery to its new owner:


Framing is something I really love to do, although I know enough to be dangerous but not professional.  I know it is important to use the best materials you can find, but not necessary to pay the "custom" frame prices, even with a coupon the fee is too high. (IMHO) My motto is "make the mat a standard size.  Paint an oil a standard size. Standard size saves $$$ and there is always another frame sale somewhere!"  I am terrified to cut glass though.

If I should ever find myself in a gallery, I may change this thinking. Right now it works for me.  The beauty of working small is that "photo" frames work out just fine! I also find terrific frames at our local "Snooty Fox Furniture Den" resale shop.  I just toss the designer print out and use the lovely frame for my work.

"El Patron" is back from his business trip to England.  Of course the airlines had to squeeze the life force out of him by delaying the flight out of London just long enough for him to miss his connection from Dulles to Cincinnati.  United routed him on a Useless Air flight out of Regan airport, arriving here at midnight (5 am England time). Heavens knows when the luggage will catch up.  It's good to have him home in any case.

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can



8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you forged on and completed your pastel because it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  2. Your Purple Rain is beautiful... a nice choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. You've really captured the energy of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love looking at a storm across the waters, don't you?

      Delete
  4. Purple Rain is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying so.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!