Friday, January 02, 2015

2 of 30

Grand Old Lab, 5x7", oil on panel
Private Commission
#2 0f 30
This piece was commissioned as a gift. Unfortunately this dog is deceased so I was forced to work from less than perfect photo reference.  Such is life at times...


Photo reference was blurred and grainy but I loved the ears!


First I lay in a transparent underpainting...




Then I work in opaque colors.  The background needed to be darker to show off the coat.




I hope they like the portrait. It's always bittersweet to paint a deceased pet.  I will deliver it next week, after it dries.

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!