Friday, January 09, 2015

9 of 30

Haut Baran Hydrangeas, 8x10", Pastel on Panel, $225
9 of 30

Today I attended a pastel class led by Ray Hassard (www.rayhassard.com). I have been working with Ray for many years. I love his teaching style and wonderful work. I own two of his pieces. It was a grand afternoon plus I managed to complete another painting.  This is the third version of this scene that I have painted, first on location in oil, then in watercolor from a sketch I started on location and now in pastel. I think this is the most successful.


H.B. Hydrangeas, 6x8", oil on panel
x
H.B. Hydrangeas, 7x5", Watercolor
The process of painting in pastel is very different than oil or water color.  There are so many colors to use (I've been collecting pastels for years!)

Start with a sketch, then build up the darks




My pastel collection in my Heilman "backpacker" box
http://heilmandesigns.com/?product=heilman-backpack-pastel-box

The thing to know about pastels is no matter how many you own there are way more lovely colors to lust over...  I am concentrating on using what I have. We are blessed in Cincinnati to have Great American Pastels manufactured right here.  http://www.greatpastels.com/

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can

Information on my upcoming group show "Inspired by Abroad" can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!