Saturday, September 02, 2017

2 of 30: Summer Flowers

Summer Flowers, 11x9, Watercolor $200
 Today was rainy.  Hurricane Harvey seems to have reached Ohio in a much reduced form, or we are just getting some heavy rains.  I decided to work at home instead of heading down to my studio.  Since I have a nosy, rotten cat who cannot resist getting into things, I do not use oil paint at home.

We went to the farmers market this morning and came home with a bunch of pretty summer flowers.  Since they were sitting on the dining room table I decided to use them and some peppers for my inspiration.


rather than waiting for the perfect situation I decided to simply paint what I saw!
the watercolor alone seemed a little wimpy so I decided to get out the watercolor crayons...

As you can see the line work really made this image POP! I am inspired by artists whose art is whimsical.  As part of the 30 in 30 challenge I resolve to allow some whimsy into my work!
Flowers are so darn complex that I tend to get lost in them. Adding bold lines allows me to simply focus on the fun of the arrangement.

I want to infuse my larger works with the looseness of my travel sketches.  We shall see how it unfolds...

I am grateful for the many blessings of my life as it is today. 

Start where you are
Love what you have
Do what you can


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your interest!